________________________

Monday, December 20, 2010

Delirium Street

The question that I will try to answer here is: is Delirium street beautiful for me or not, and why. So I prefer to start with a brief description of what that street looks like to me.

Too many people. A lot of restaurant tables, maƮtres inviting you to sit, lots of moules frites. A bar with a lot of beers, another one with many kinds of absinthes.
I feel warm when I'm there, it is a easy place to mingle, but also because is a place full foreigners. Even though, for me this street really means a "Brussels experience".

So the feeling I get from this street is basically TOO MUCH. And too much is not really among my ideas of beauty.
All of that street seems fake, looks plastic. But one of the real issues for me is that, since is so crowded and "too much" you don't really have time to think about what you see, to feel, to breath. You are attacked all the time by people offering you a table, a funky hat, running over you to get to the bar, asking you for the girl who pees. And you throw yourself on the crowd, get to the (crowded) bar and get your beer. You can have fun, but is not the place you would pick to have fun, but because "everybody is going" or "everybody should go there once".

I like the bar, I kind of like the crowd on the street, but it is not beautiful. At all.

The article about Mediterranean thinking has a connection with the points that bothers me the most about this street: it leaves no space for us to create, to complete the image, to think for ourselves. I would prefer to avoid this excess.

No comments:

Post a Comment